Test your risk for Gum Disease.
This is a fantastic test from the American Academy of Periodontology website to help you learn more about the state of your gums. Answering the following questions will give you an idea of your chance of having periodontal disease:
- Do you think you might have gum disease? Yes / No
- Have you ever had treatment for gum disease, such as scaling and root planing, sometimes called deep cleaning? Yes / No
- Have any of your teeth become loose on their own without an injury? Yes / No
- Have you ever been told by a dental professional that you have lost bone around your teeth? Yes / No
- During the past 3 months, have you noticed a tooth that doesn’t look right? Yes / No
- Do you have diabetes? Yes / No
- Are you over 50 years of age? Yes / No
- Overall, how do you rate the health of your teeth and gums? Excellent / Good / Fair / Poor
- Aside from brushing your teeth with a toothbrush in the last 7 days, how many times did you use dental floss or any other device to clean between your teeth? 3 or more times / 0 times
If you answered “yes” to 3 or more of these questions, or a combination of “yes” or “0” that totals 3 or more, it is likely that you have periodontal disease. In this case, we would recommend that you seek dental care with one of our specialists.
As discussed in previous posts, unfortunately gum disease doesn´t hurt, and it´s very easy to be missed both by you and occasionally also the dentist, unless a thorough assessment takes place, including a gum assessment and x-rays to check your bone levels.